II Aedean Doctoral Seminar University of Alicante, 9 and 10 July 2020
In view of the current Covid-19 health emergency, the Organizing Committee and the AEDEAN Executive have jointly acknowledged that the 2020 Seminar cannot be held on 9-10 July. We are planning to hold the Seminar at the same venue in the first fortnight of July 2021 with a minimal number of adjustments. A new situation update will be published and circulated in due course after the summer.
Programme of activities
Sessions will be organised in two different panels:
- Literature and Culture in English
- English Language and Linguistics
Each participant will have 10 minutes to present their research, followed by 10 minutes of questions and discussion. Participants are expected to attend all the presentations in their own panel and to take part in the discussions.
There will also be plenary activities on general research topics: methodological aspects of English studies, scientific writing, as well as questions and issues of interest on doctoral studies.
When submitting a proposal, doctoral students will include, apart from their personal details and University, a summary of the research they are doing of no more than 300 words, which will include, among other aspects:
- The main topic and the central hypothesis of the study.
- The main objectives.
- The proposed methodology.
- Where relevant, the scope, corpus or limits established.
- Problems and challenges.
- Results obtained, if any.
Each panel of the Seminar will be coordinated by two experts (to be known as “Convenors”). They will make a selection from the applications received, chair the discussions and respond to the presentations.
Proposals should be sent by e-mail, no later than 30 March 2020, to the Seminar Coordinator, Professor Ignacio Palacios Martínez (Universidad de Santiago de Compostela) – email@example.com
A certificate will be granted to all participants and a selection of contributions will be published in the AEDEAN journal Nexus.
AEDEAN offers a total of €3,000 in travel and accommodation, as well as free registration for participants who meet the following requirements:
- To be a full member of AEDEAN.
- Not to enjoy any other scholarship or aid financed with public or private funds.
- To be at least in the second year the doctoral programme at the time of the Seminar.
Likewise, those who obtain the aid and participate in the Seminar will have free registration in the next AEDEAN conference, which will take place at the University of Santander, in November 2020.
Applications for financial support should be sent, no later than 15 May 2020, to the Seminar Coordinator, Professor Ignacio Palacios Martínez (Universidad de Santiago de Compostela) – firstname.lastname@example.org
Each application for financial support should include three documents (in attachment to the e-mail of application):
- The applicant’s CV.
- A letter detailing the applicant’s eligibility clearly and fully explaining the need for financial support, including a provisional budget for travel costs and/or accommodation expenses.
- A signed statement from the applicant’s supervisor, including a declaration that it is impossible for the applicant to draw on private means or any other sources of funding, including funding earmarked for the ongoing doctoral project, for the purpose of participating in the AEDEAN Doctoral Seminar.
Please note that AEDEAN’s decisions about selection for participation and about financial support are final and not subject to appeal.
- Deadline for proposals: 30 March.
- Deadline for communicating acceptance or rejection of proposals: 20 April.
- Deadline for aids applications: 15 May.
- Registration dates: 15 May to 30 June.