The symposium is organised annually by the Hippocrates Initiative, based at the University of Warwick (UK): Department of English and Comparative Literary Studies, University of Warwick, Coventry CV4 7AL, UK ∞ +44 (0)2476 522335
Venue: at the Poetry Foundation and Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL
Symposium activities will include:
- A reading by poet Mark Doty at the Poetry Foundation on the evening of May 10th
- Academic presentations and panels on May 11th at the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine campus (downtown Chicago, just blocks from the Poetry Foundation) on May 11th. (Breakfast and lunch will be provided.)
- An award ceremony and reading of winning entries of the Hippocrates Prize for Poetry and Medicine on the afternoon of May 11th at the Poetry Foundation.
- A seminar on “Art, Poetry, and Medicine,” led by Joel Katz, MD, at the Museum of Contemporary Art on May
Proposals for presentations are now being accepted for the 9th Annual Hippocrates Poetry and Medicine Symposium. Held in conjunction with the international Hippocrates Prize for Poetry and Medicine, the symposium attracts scholars from across the globe with broad interests in poetry, health humanities, and narrative medicine.
Proposals (up to 500 words, for 15-minute presentations or posters) should address any work at the intersection of poetry and medicine. Examples of previous presentations include:
- “The Power of Poetry: From Petrarch to the Present”
- “Abortion in 1960s and 1970s American Poetry”
- “Issues in identifying & assessing a corpus of medical poetry”
- “The Brain as a Metaphor Making Machine”
- “Visualizing and Verbalizing Illness: a Window into the Full Patient Experience”
- “Poetic Re-narration and Chemotherapy: Infusing Purpose and Meaning into the End of Life”
For more information and to submit a proposal: http://bioethics.northwestern.edu/poetry2018/
The submission deadline is March 1, 2018. Decisions will be made by March 15, 2018.
For more about the poetry prize competition, and to enter: http://hippocrates-poetry.org/2018-hippocrates-prize-for/online-entry-2018-hippocrat/
Program Committee: Catherine Belling, Rafael Campo, Joshua Hauser, Michael Hulse, Kelly Michelson, Donald Singer, Rachel Jameson Webster, Stephen Young
Sponsors: Center for Bioethics and Medical Humanities of Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Hippocrates Initiative for Poetry & Medicine, The Poetry Foundation, Harvard Medical School